Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Baltic cruise - what excursions shoud we do

We are doing a baltic cruise this summer on the Celebrity Eclipse, APART from St.Petersburg, where we have already decided on our tour, any recommendations where we should visit when we are in the other ports.

Ports of call are:-

Zeebrugge we are there on a Sunday
    Warnemunde
    Helsinki
    (St.Petersurg)
    Tallin
    Copenhagen - we fancy visiting the Tivoli gardens - the ship is offering an evening tour, is it worth doing? We are in port until 23.59

We are happy walking, getting the hop on/off bus, not very happy on the train.

Thanks for your help
    Tom's Mum

Images
    Tallin is a small town ideal for walking around. The walk from the ship may not be too long - or take a shuttle bus.

Get a bus or taxi to the Tivoli Gardens - I walked but it was a bit too far! It's nice during the day but quite magical after dark.

Helsinki - I walked around the harbour area (near our ship berth).

Hello,
    Tallin is walkable, so you can do it yourselves. There is an informative museum in the centre about the culture and history.It is all interactive and not that expensive. My wife and I spent a couple of hours there. Alternatively Alla tours do a tour in Tallin and will meet you at the boat. A number of people on our cruise did this and enjoyed it

Helsinki is just about walkable but there will hop on and off buses which you can use at the port. Many people will get this and get on and off at specific points of interest.

Copenhagen we just walked about but didn't go into the gardens re the cost but I'm sure someone will advise.

Just my opinion, but I think it should be made more obvious to people that Tivoli is more an (old, pretty dilapidated) amusement park than beautiful gardens. Yes, parts of it are lovely and I'm sure it's gorgeous lit up at night but if you pay the large fee to get in expecting extensive peaceful gardens you're going to be disappointed.

Images
    Hello Tom's Mum,

There is a Ho Ho Bus in Copenhagen although we had a Port shuttle into Town & then walked & walked, most enjoyable. We did not go to the Tivoli Gardens for the reasons that Britchic states, friends of ours were very disappointed with their visit.

As for Zebrugge, I know you say you are not keen on trains, but Bruges is a 'must see' & is only a 20 minute train ride away, there is lots of info on the questions/answers part of this site.

Click on this link:

going on azura, october brugge and le havre, is it possible to get to brugge... | Azura | P&O Cruises

Lizzie

Quote QUOTE: View Post
    We are doing a baltic cruise this summer on the Celebrity Eclipse, APART from St.Petersburg, where we have already decided on our tour, any recommendations where we should visit when we are in the other ports.

Ports of call are:-

Zeebrugge we are there on a Sunday
    Warnemunde
    Helsinki
    (St.Petersurg)
    Tallin
    Copenhagen - we fancy visiting the Tivoli gardens - the ship is offering an evening tour, is it worth doing? We are in port until 23.59

We are happy walking, getting the hop on/off bus, not very happy on the train.

Thanks for your help
    Tom's Mum
    I have to agree with Britchic and Lizzie's negative comments about the Tivoli Gardens. However, if you are set on going there, it does look better at night.

If you are docked at the berth close to the Little Mermaid statue (and yes, it is very small), the Ho Ho bus and local bus in to town will stop on the opposite side of the road. There's a tourist information office in the row of shops opposite where you can pick up a map. The staff are all very helpful, they speak excellent English, as do most Danes and will be pleased to offer advice.

I would suggest you take the bus to town, walk down Stroget, the main shopping street to Nyhavn the canal area. Nyhavn is a pleasant place to walk around with lots of bars and cafes. Take a tour on a canal boat which will give you a good overview of the city sights including the Church of our Saviour with the golden spire. Don't miss seeing the Amalienborg Royal Palace where the changing of the guard takes place at noon. Copenhagen is a lovely city and has so much more to offer than Tivoli Gardens.

Hi Tom's Mum.

I think Stockholm should be on your itinerary too, so hopefully you'll get some info for that stop too

Bob

For Stockholm, the Vasa Museum is not to be missed. Fantastic ship, and it's very impressive how interesting they have managed to make the exhibits - for instance from forensic analysis of the skeletons found they have put together a whole projected face and lifestyle for each person. It's fascinating. Get there early though or the queues are awful.

By the way, I didn't mean to be negative about Tivoli necessarily, my children enjoyed it immensely, it's just that I imagine if you are looking for gardens rather than rollercoasters, and paying the large entrance fee (pretty large even without the wristband for the rides), you might be disappointed.

Last edited by Britchic, Midlands; 21st February 2012 at 08:11 AM.

Hi I would recommend using the HOHOs buses in Helsinki and Copenhagen (cheaper than the city tours offered by the ship), these buses come down to the port terminal. The one in Copenhagen does drop off at the Tovili Gardens and you can get a combined ticket for entrance to the park.

Sorry if you get two posts, computer doing its own thing

Thank you everyone for your comments, sorry did forget to say we were also calling into Stockholm, thanks for the tip about going to the Vassa museum early because of the ques. The is the beauty of this site, all the inside info you need.

Very interesting comments about the Tivoli gardens, will have to give this extra thought.

With regard to getting to Brugge on the train - is it easy? ie get tickets, find your way to and from train station, do they run a Sunday service. Sorry so many questions just have the jitters using trains abroad, frightened will end up somewhere we don't want to be, and not getting back to ship on time etc..

Tom's Mum

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast