Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Concierge class on Eclipse - are the extras worth it?

We are looking to book our first cruise on celebrity Eclipse for September next year. We have booked a balcony suite on our 2 previous cruises and were looking to do the same. However concierge will cost around £170 more each, but we would get $400 onboard spend instead of $200 dollars. The cabins are still the same size so are the extras worth spending the extra money on?

Quote QUOTE: View Post
    We are looking to book our first cruise on celebrity Eclipse for September next year. We have booked a balcony suite on our 2 previous cruises and were looking to do the same. However concierge will cost around £170 more each, but we would get $400 onboard spend instead of $200 dollars. The cabins are still the same size so are the extras worth spending the extra money on?
    Hi Maureen, I imagine that you've had a look at the benefits but can't quite weigh up their value. It's difficult because how do you put a value on flowers in the bathroom - better towels - choice of pillows? A bottle of sparkling wine is pleasant to toast Blighty as you sail off into the sunset. Some like the canapes of an evening, some ask to change them for cheese and biscuits. You get a little bit of special treatment - not a lot - separate check-in, priorty tender off the ship and a lounge to wait in prior to disembarkation.

After knocking off the OBC, the net cost to you both is around £210. We travelled concierge class for our first 3 Celebrity cruises when the cost was about £100 extra per person and felt that it was worth the extra - we have since travelled in a normal balcony cabin because they were charging £200 extra each for CC. I must say that a massive plus for us was that we gained 3 cruise credits for each CC cruise and after just a further 4 day cruise we became Elite members of the Captains Club and now enjoy substantial benefits such as 90 mins free internet access and 2 hours per evening of free drinks.

Images
    We have travelled Concierge Class several times as twice we received it for a very reduced price and the other was a free upgrade. The simple answer in my humble opinion is this, £210 for what? A bottle of Sparkling Wine and Canapes. Seperate check in is not always an advantage. The priority queue this year at Galveston was longer than the ordinary queue due to the number of check in desks operating!! Never had a problen with waiting for a tender off the ship unless you want to be first off the ship. Like Hampshire Thorn for me the only big plus is the extra cruise credit you receive but that for you will depend on how many more cruises you intend to do with Celebrity or RCI. As Hampshire Thorn has pointed out, the true benefits come from the various loyalty clubs run by the cruise lines. To me the short answer to your question is no, I personally would not pay the extra.

Fossil1

Hi Maureen, I imagine that you've had a look at the benefits but can't quite weigh up their value. It's difficult because how do you put a value on flowers in the bathroom - better towels - choice of pillows? A bottle of sparkling wine is pleasant to toast Blighty as you sail off into the sunset. Some like the canapes of an evening, some ask to change them for cheese and biscuits. You get a little bit of special treatment - not a lot - separate check-in, priorty tender off the ship and a lounge to wait in prior to disembarkation.

After knocking off the OBC, the net cost to you both is around £210. We travelled concierge class for our first 3 Celebrity cruises when the cost was about £100 extra per person and felt that it was worth the extra - we have since travelled in a normal balcony cabin because they were charging £200 extra each for CC. I must say that a massive plus for us was that we gained 3 cruise credits for each CC cruise and after just a further 4 day cruise we became Elite members of the Captains Club and now enjoy substantial benefits such as 90 mins free internet access and 2 hours per evening of free drinks.
    We have done 3 cruises with Celebrity and just booked a further 2 back to back making 5 in total . Wonder if we are eligible for anything at all, nothing has been offered at time of booking apart from upgrades.

We have done 3 cruises with Celebrity and just booked a further 2 back to back making 5 in total . Wonder if we are eligible for anything at all, nothing has been offered at time of booking apart from upgrades.
    Have you joined the Captains Club (loyalty club) Christiaan? I don't think it's done automatically, I believe you have to join. With 3 cruises under your belt, you should be getting something - perhaps an upgrade on inside or oceanview or a discount on a balcony. There are gradually increasing benefits as you move through the grades, you can view them on the Celebrity web site.

There you have two opposing views as to whether it is worth paying some extra for Concierge Class. I think that the answer now lies with you. I would go for Concierge every time because I enjoy Concierge Class. the extras that come with it and the plushness of the cabins but that is my opinion. In my opinion your problem lies with the fact that you are worried as to whether you should spend the extra money and whether it is good value. My attitude is that I enjoy concierge therefore I will have it.

I hope that doesn't sound too bumptious or snobby but as I see it I cruise because I enjoy all the aspects of being pampered and Concierge gives me that extra. I also get all the benefits of Elite Captain's Club status and that just adds to the pampering.

I hope I have not been put off by this answer. I am just trying to be as straight as I can. .....Neil

We have only been in Concierge Class once, and we would not do it again unless the extra cost was very small. The flowers were nice, but didn't have much value for us. Fresh fruit is available in the buffet, and the sparkling wine wasn't particularly good. The thicker robes were welcome, as was the shower gel, but not worth an additional charge in our opinion. We were only in the cabin once for the afternoon canapés and we were not impressed with them. For us, the advantage was the additional cruise credit which brought us up to Elite level. We now choose a regular balcony cabin and are very happy with that.

Personally I do not think it is worth the extra money for the Concierge Class.

It does not give you the benefit of Elite Captains Club - you have to book a grand suite or above to qualify for this (Unless of course you are already Captians Club Elite Members).

More importantly the cabin itself is no different neither on decor nor size than the standard balcony cabins.

So what do you get:
    • Bottle of bubbly on arrival in cabin (Take your own - you are allowto take on board two bottles per cabin on embarkation)
    • Flowers - nice touch but basically its a stem flower, each day they will accumulate so you have one on the table, one on the dressing table, one in the bathroom, etc. - In the end they tend to get in the way a bit.
    • Bathrobes - Extra Fluffly but nothing wrong with the ones they give you in a standard balcony and again they dont take up so much room.
    • Canapes - You have to order these daily and whilst a nice touch do you really need anymore food and you can always nip up to the buffet for something similar or indeed call room service for something better.
    • Fresh Fruit - To be honest it just sat there even thought they changed it regularly it was a waste. You can pick up as much fresh fruit as you want from the buffet.
    • Binoculars and Umbrella - Handy yes but again you can take your own.
    • Pillow Menu - To be honest a pillow is a pillow and I really would not know which one was anything different to what they give you as standard which I will add are good quality.

The cabin attendant gives no different service to that of a standard balcony cabin. And to be honest I bet if you wanted a different pillow or something extra they would find it for you anyway.

That all said, if it were me I would book a standard balcony cabin, then monitor the price because with their price promise you can upgrade if you see a Concierge Class come up at a lower price anyway.

Last edited by Bradbury, Coventry; 20th September 2011 at 01:30 PM. Reason: Forgot the fruit

I realise this isn't strictly about the "extras", but do be aware that, with Concierge, rooms are on the higher decks - supposedly a better position. Unfortunately, many are shaded by the ship's overhang, which is absolutely massive and can cut out any sun on your balcony except at sunrise and sunset. If you're going somewhere sunny and the light on your balcony matters to you, do bear this in mind ;-)
    All the best,
    Lynn

Images
    I realise this isn't strictly about the "extras", but do be aware that, with Concierge, rooms are on the higher decks - supposedly a better position. Unfortunately, many are shaded by the ship's overhang, which is absolutely massive and can cut out any sun on your balcony except at sunrise and sunset. If you're going somewhere sunny and the light on your balcony matters to you, do bear this in mind ;-)
    All the best,
    Lynn
    A vital piece of info. for me. Thank you.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast